Monday, February 15, 2010

Unity

I L.O.V.E. the opening ceremony  of the Olympics. The actual Olympics aren't so shabby either. ;) I was thinking though about why I heart them so much and it comes down to unity. I get so verklempt at the first sound of the anthem. At the stories setting up the athletes. And the torch! The torch being passed from person to person accross a country, uniting as it goes, swelling people's hearts with not only their own national pride, but with a sense of ...you guessed it! Unity!! I love that it always has the same affect on me no matter which country it's occuring in. I also really love it as each participating country walks out together during opening ceremonies waving their respective flags. Just seeing people that happy and shiny and hopeful is enough. But it's that extra knowing that they are all united as athletes for a common goal. Competing against each other sure, but TOGETHER in the Olympics. There is just good will there.


It's not just the Olympics that have this affect on me though. Any time a crowd cheers does it for the most part. On Extreme Makeover Home Edition when all the volunteers come cheering up the road (see? getting choked up just thinking about it). Anytime, anywhere when the National Anthem is sung. They all get to me, and I'm all okay with that.

U.N.I.T.Y
The more, the merrier.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your leaving a comment! What do I owe ya?